Instagram

Parenting Uncategorized

I’m Free!

April 27, 2014

“I’m free!!!” screams my little boy as he smiles to the sky and spins in a wobbly circle. “I’m free! I’m free! I’m free!”

Yes, little buddy. You certainly are free.

You are free to ask for a blueberry yogurt, and, when I open it, immediately change your mind to vanilla.

You are free to place both your hands on my cheeks and aggressively yank my face until my eyes meet yours,  extinguishing any conversation I attempt with another human.

You are free to repeat the name of an item that has fallen on the floor until someone gets annoyed enough and gets it for you. “Paint brush. Paint brush. PAINT brush. PAINT BRUSH. PAAAAINT BRUSH!! PAAAAAAAIIIINNNNT BRUUUUSH!!!!!!!!”

You are free to declare your independence when we are in a rush and insist on my help only when I am preoccupied.

You are free to get yourself in a slight pickle and have slight overreaction.

three year old tantrum

You are free to want mommy when daddy is putting you to bed and visa versa.

You are free to change your mind about what nighttime story you want as we turn to read the last page of your original choice.

You are free to want to dress yourself, but only when you feel like it, and only when we are late.

You are free to insist on being carried when it is clear my hands are full.

You are free to delegate your basic wants and needs with a single, shouted word and expect immediate response. “Water!”, “Bathroom!”, “Cookie!”, “Shoes!”, “Ball’, “Mommy!”

You are free to say ‘No!’….. a lot.

You are free to crawl in my bed every night….and kick, and thrash, and punch until sunrise.

You are free to throw your body wildly on the ground in a fit of rage when a drop of water spills on your pants.

You are free to still be cute despite all these things…. Honestly, I don’t know how you accomplish this one. True talent.

Yes, little buddy, you certainly are “free”…. otherwise known as “three”…. but who’s counting, and wouldn’t I be crazy to correct you….

• Courtney
    April 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Oh the world of a three year old……..I don’t know who made up terrible twos, because three year olds are in a league of their own. Mine tests my limits everyday, all day to see what he can get away with, especially when we came home from the hospital with his new baby brother. Thank god he is cute 🙂

• Sisters to Sons
      April 27, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Thank god for the cuteness!! Seriously two is nothing!!! The day R turned 3 it was a game changer….

• Mom
    April 27, 2014 at 8:28 pm

The one word commands must be the 3 yr old version of a “text”….

• Erin
    April 27, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Everyone talks about the “Terrible Two’s.” But they lie. My daughter didn’t become a monster until she was three. Now she’s three and a half… I can only hope she gets her emotions under better control by the time she’s four, right? 🙂

• Sisters to Sons
      April 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

twos are NOTHING compared to three! Definitely gets better by 5….. maybe 4.5 if your’e lucky 🙂

• Heather
    April 27, 2014 at 8:34 pm

1. We need a playdate because my free=”three” is just the same. And the pickle and overreaction graphic could have almost made me pee my pants a little…

• Sisters to Sons
      April 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

lol! yeah they can be “free” together and we can just sit back and laugh!

• Katie
    April 28, 2014 at 2:35 am

Remy still manages to be the cutest 3 year old!! I can’t wait for a double dose of “free”

• Jennifer @Making Our Life Matter
    April 28, 2014 at 8:46 am

I miss that stage. Sort of. Okay no I do not. Or maybe I do because now it is run me here, get me that, please don’t kiss me in public, your going to wear that?!?!?!

• Jo-Lynne Shane {Musings of a Housewife}
    April 28, 2014 at 8:58 am

Ahhh…. THREE. My least favorite of all the ages. 🙂 Hang in there, mama. It gets better! 🙂 Meanwhile, enjoy those squishy cheeks. They don’t last long. 😉

• kim @ DESIGN + LIFE + KIDS
    April 28, 2014 at 9:05 am

the free threes was definitely harder than the terrible twos for me!

• Reesa Lewandowski
    April 28, 2014 at 10:09 am

I have a Threenager as well. I think I was really preoccupied with my newborn baby when my son was 3, b/c I don’t remember it being this hard then!

I really enjoyed your humor in this post, it put life in perspective for me. 🙂

• Stephanie
    April 28, 2014 at 10:51 am

I love this! Right now my middle (he’s 4) is killing me with similar “free” fun. Didn’t go through this with my first, but boy is #2 child making up for that! Hoping 3# cuts me a little break!

• Barb @ A Life in Balance
    April 28, 2014 at 11:18 am

Love it! I don’t miss that stage however.

• Gina B
    April 28, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Three is hard. Around here it is known as the year that time out’s stopped working and my eldest discovered “jealousy” (in the form of a baby sister). Then again, it’s also the age where you can teach them things that will settle in the rest of their life, like “no” is a word they too will hear a lot, lol! Personally, I’m a big fan of 7 🙂

• Dana
    April 28, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Or he could be two, I can see some of these in my 2-year-old already!

• Jessica @EatSleepBe
    April 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

What a fabulous post! They are definitely fickle at three. Hold on tight. As free as three may be, four rocks even more!

• Carrie @ Chockababy
    April 28, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I love this. So my 18 month old right now. Except I often have no idea what he is saying and he won’t stop saying it until he gets it. Whatever “it” may be! 🙂

• Natalie
    April 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

so cute! happy birthday little guy!

• Emily Hurley
    September 5, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Caroline turns 3 today and this has always been one of my favorite (among many others!!!) of your posts…I just love it and had to come back today to read it. Caroline, too, has been screaming “I’m free, I’m free!” and it cracks me up. Love to you and yours, Lindsey!

• Sisters to Sons
      September 6, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Oh this comment makes me so happy! Happy birthday to your free year old!

don’t miss a post